If you have a device which you want to have on the internet but it is a huge hassle to plug into your router because it is in a different room, then this article is for you!Technologic is the name of a very cool song. Look it up on YouTube. I call this blog Technologic because more and more do I seem to be the technology geek in GAP. I guess my father's blood runs in my veins because I am fascinated with solving computer problems. God bless my wife for putting up with me while I am hacking away at computer problems.
So I am writing this post because open source software (Unix) has broken into my life once again in a wonderful way. Open source software is programming that utalitarian super nerds somewhere out there in cyberspace decide to create and give away for FREE! Some examples of open source software are: OpenOffice, Firefox, and Thunderbird. Unix is code that everyone is required to share freely. Is there really anywhere else in the world that people just create things and give them away for free? Thanks to this open source unix firmware I have figured out how to do something so cool with a wireless Linksys router that I am compelled to share.
I installed DD-WRT firmware on a WRT54G.
This firmware allowed me to use my router (instead of my laptop) to connect to local wireless internet signal being broadcast at my apartment complex. Once I connected my DD-WRT router to the local broadcast it redistributed the internet signal through the hardwire ports in the back and wirelessly! This is useful if you have wireless internet upstairs and a desktop or X-Box downstairs which does not have wireless capabilities. This is also useful if you live in an apartment where free internet is being broadcast and you want to have it in your apartment.
Let me tell you how it works. DD-WRT firmware is unix based software which gives ordinary routers extra special features. First visit this website and see if you have a router which in on the list of approved devices.
Then go to the “Tutorials” section of the website and follow the instructions. There is a lot you can do with this firmware! Read up on it and see if there is any extra functionality you wish your router could do. Happy routing!
Let me tell you how it works. DD-WRT firmware is unix based software which gives ordinary routers extra special features. First visit this website and see if you have a router which in on the list of approved devices.
Then go to the “Tutorials” section of the website and follow the instructions. There is a lot you can do with this firmware! Read up on it and see if there is any extra functionality you wish your router could do. Happy routing!
Note: If you install open source firmware on your router the manufacturer will not cover it with support or warrenties.
3 comments:
That sound really cool, though what you can do with the router.
Post a Comment