Romans 12:21 says, "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." This phrase is taken out of a passage about love and living at peace with others. It also talks about not repaying evil for evil. I have been thinking about this passage a lot because of all the dark influences tearing away at the kids who are in GAP. Rejection from family, abuse, neglect, and a sense of hopelessness is heavy upon these kids. Many of them immerse themselves in music, MTV, and other forms of digital entertainment that they can identify with or succeed in. I bring the kids to church and they will say to my face, "I love Satan" or "Jesus is gay". In this environment it is easy for me to believe that Christ is not as enticing and wonderful as He needs to be to break into their lives. I am tempted to believe Jesus is a better way of life instead of remembering He is a risen King with a growing kingdom! The foolishness of the gospel can feel like it is nothing more then foolishness on some days. The kids certainly seem to want me to believe that.But God reminds me that He can break into this darkness with His irresistible light. I took four of the kids to a Newsboys concert who originally did not want to go because it was a Christian band. These were the same kids who had told me those nasty things about Jesus I mentioned earlier. However as the songs continued to play and thousands of individuals sang out their praise to God I could see these kids wrestling with the truth. Nothing these kids knew of was worth singing and dancing for and yet they were surrounded by people dancing with joy. I had a kid on my shoulders who was raising his hands and praising Jesus as we danced. (It was a high point of the night)
At the end of the concert a brief gospel message was presented and every kid I brought to the concert wanted to accept Christ. These kids need hope so badly. They need something worth singing and dancing about. Even though I have not the foggiest idea of how God spoke to their hearts that night or how they will be next time Bethany and I come to take care of them. God reminded me of something. He reminded me that He is glorious, He is light, He is irresistible, He is worth singing to, He is worth dancing for, and He can break into hopeless situations and give hope even to children who think their lives are so pointless that they should end.
God also has revealed to me that I do not fully trust Him to take care of these kids. I catch myself believing I need to do everything to train these kids to be successful in life and that burdensome responsibility I put on myself weighs me down. I need to do my part and then trust God, moment by moment, to do the rest.
Prayers: For Bethany and I to be able to trust God with these kids so much that discouragement does not hinder us and peace remains with us, even in dark situations.
Praises: God is bigger than me! He calls men to Himself with His love and glory. It is not my job to make God attractive or cool. He is holy, powerful, and majestic. He is entirely capable of revealing Himself as such. He did it for Paul and He did it for these kids. God cares for the lowly and has reminded me that His light and redemption outshines the darkness of hopelessness and sin! Praise God for that!
1 comment:
What a great way to live life with the kids bro, can't wait to see you next week.
-Dan
Post a Comment