September 5, 2008

First Respite Is Finished

Bethany and I have finished our first respite. Whew. Here is Bethany playing "tackle" with a very cute three year old who was born addicted to crack. The first respite I am sure will be the hardest (three more to go). The first week went pretty well and relationships were begun with the kids. Some of the kids really struggle in school so we do homework with them and teach them as much as we can. (As you can see we are not allowed to put up pictures of the kids so you will see no young faces on this blog)

The largest blow up this week was with one of the kids I usually get along best with. When a kid has a blow up or makes a big mistake it is often one of the best times to talk to them because “teaching moments” can open up. This seemed to be one of those times. The child was very worried about getting in trouble because he wanted to be able to go back to his dad. The stories are sad but it rewarding to be there for a kid who really needs love and a good example. I have been able to talk about Jesus and the difference He has made in my life about four times with kids already as situations have arisen. So praise God because these kids need Him!

Sadly it seems we have to do our first two respites back to back. So tonight we will begin another six day respite at another house and will be done by Thursday next week to start getting in touch with our loved ones again. The couple we will be providing a break for used to do youth ministry and both of them are very cool. The minister says he prefers this job to his old job in the church. I thought that was very interesting.

After this next respite we will have a one week break to go ahead and hopefully get moved into our own apartment…finally. I am excited to settle in and have a place Bethany and I can really call our home. We are hoping to move into a more urban setting then we have lived in, in the past. We may even have a mall in our backyard!

Bethany and I have also found a place that has a really good salmon appetizer which is half-price on weekdays between 3 PM and 7 PM.

Prayers: For energy, love, and patience to work with each other. Prayers for Bethany and I as the foster kids can put some growing pains on our own relationship.
Praises: We have been given a mentor couple through this ministry who we really like! It seems God has been providing mentors for both of us at all stages of life: high school, college, pre-marriage, and now here at GAP. Perhaps God has something special in mind for us. The first respite went well. It looks like Tucson, AZ might be a good fit for us after all.

No comments: